I cook middle eastern food quite frequently because of its high protein content. I love fresh baked pita too but try to keep it at minimum for carbs. I make many varieties of Hummus, Baba Ganoush and Tabbouleh and wanted to make something else this time.
This eggplant salad is smoky, soothing and refreshing all at once :). I was little skeptical to add yogurt to mashed eggplant at first, but it turned out totally yum.
- 1 Cup yogurt
- Mint leaves bunch (finely chopped)
- 3 Garlic Cloves (minced)
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Sumac to garnish (optional)
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degree Fahrenheit and roast whole eggplant until charred
- Carefully remove the burnt / charred eggplant skin and keep the flesh in a colander to let cool
- Eggplant will leave a lot of water and eventually cool down, press with your hands or spatula to remove any remaining water
- Mash the eggplant using your hands or spatula. DO NOT GRIND! The texture is best when its just roughly mashed.
- Add Yogurt, mint leaves, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil and salt. (eggplant should not be hot to touch by this time)
- Sprinkle with sumac and/or red pepper flakes
Tadaa!!! Your awesome fire roasted eggplant salad is ready to serve. You can serve it with pita bread or chips
Now next time you buy a eggplant, don’t forget to give this recipe a try. Would love to hear your experiences 🙂