In US, July is national watermelon month. You will see these big juicy ball of vibrant colors in abundance everywhere. Here are some interesting and less known facts about watermelon
- Watermelons are the most consumed melons in US
- Watermelon is a vegetable and a fruit both
- Watermelon was originated in Egypt 5000 years ago
- More then 300 varieties of Watermelons are grown in USA and Mexico
- All the parts of Watermelons can be consumed by humans (including rind and seeds)
- Not all Watermelons are red. I had yellow watermelon for the first time in Thailand. We were staying at Renaissance Ratchaprasong and went to their executive lounge for a quick breakfast before heading out for an exquisite day. Being vegetarian and health conscious I usually head towards Salad and fruits (instead of highly fatty muffins and carb loaded bagels). I was in rush and just took them in my plate thinking its pineapple. 😀
Wandering how to use them everyday without getting bored? Here is my collection of quick , easy and healthy ways to include this amazing fruit to your diet.
1. Make a watermelon bowl to showcase your fruit salad
2. Make watermelon Ice cubes. For a much needed hydration in summer months, add flavor and color to your water with these ice cubes which can be made in different shapes.
3. Make a quick watermelon agua fresca
6. Watermelon fresh fruit Popsicle – Instead of making Popsicle with just watermelon , they have added some other fresh fruits and used watermelon puree to bind it all together , the result is this beautiful and flavorful Popsicle 7. Watermelon skewers – Take watermelon salad to the next level and impress your guests with these watermelon skewers 8. Watermelon Mango Pica de gallo – Enough of tomatoes and mangoes, make this unique pica de gallo using watermelons 9. Put it on a Stick – Reinforce your belief in “Simple is beautiful” with this easy idea
Don’t wait for July! Enjoy these recipes all summer long 🙂